11 / 12 September
Carlin’s Zak O’Sullivan led every lap as he claimed his fifth victory of the season in the first GB3 Championship, in association with the BRDC race at Oulton Park this afternoon.
The British driver started from pole, secured by setting the fastest lap in qualifying, and gradually built up a strong lead over Fortec’s Luke Browning, who finished second in his first race in the series.
Browning held off a first corner challenge from Chris Dittmann Racing’s Ayrton Simmons, who settled for third after a late charge that saw him close within half a second of the reigning British F4 champion.
Fortec’s Roberto Faria was fourth, nearly three seconds away from the podium trio, and a second clear of Hitech’s Bart Horsten.
Carlin’s Christian Mansell finished just four tenths behind his fellow Australian, with Reece Ushijima taking seventh for Hitech GP.
Javier Sagrera (Elite), Branden Oxley (Chris Dittmann Racing) and Sebastian Alvarez (Hitech) completed the top-10.
O’Sullivan made a good start to lead the pack down to Old Hall, while Simmons drew alongside Browning and attempted a move up the inside of the first corner, only for Browning to hold his nerve around the outside.
O’Sullivan led by four tenths of a second at the end of the first lap, but initially it seemed that Browning was going to stay with him, restricting his former F4 rival to just a seven tenth advantage after four laps.
But O’Sullivan pressed home his advantage in the final half of the race, building a lead of almost two seconds at the mid-race point, which he extended to 3.8 seconds at the end of the 20 minute contest, and giving him the opportunity to wrap up the title tomorrow.
GB3 Championship, in association with the BRDC, Oulton Park race one result:
1. Zak O’Sullivan, Carlin, 13 laps
2. Luke Browning, Fortec Motorsports, +3.868s
3. Ayrton Simmons, Chris Dittmann Racing, +4.415s
4. Roberto Faria, Fortec Motorsports, +7.354s
5. Bart Horsten, Hitech GP, +8.511s
6. Christian Mansell, Carlin, +8.945s
7. Reece Ushijima, Hitech GP, +10.006s
8. Javier Sagrera, Elite Motorsport, +13.301s
9. Branden Oxley, Chris Dittmann Racing, +15.683s
10. Sebastian Alvarez, Hitech GP, +21.298s
11. Tom Lebbon, Elite Motorsport, +22.023s
12. Roman Bilinski, Arden Motorsport, +22.534s
13. Jonathan Browne, Hillspeed, +23.545s
14. Frederick Lubin, Arden Motorsport, +24.270s
15. Bryce Aron, Carlin, +25.473s
16. Reema Juffali, Douglas Motorsport, +37.263s
17. Mikkel Grundtvig, Fortec Motorsports, +37.618s
23 September 2021 - O’Sullivan: “I wanted to win the race!”
21 September 2021 - Lundqvist guarantees Indy Lights top-three finish to secure IndyCar test
20 September 2021 - GB3 star Simmons to make FIA F3 debut this weekend
14 September 2021 - GB3 drivers included in Aston Martin Autosport BRDC Award top-10
13 September 2021 - O’Sullivan takes Jack Cavill Pole Position Cup lead with one event to go
12 September 2021 - RACE 3: Bilinski dominates in the rain at Oulton Park